[School] Making choices- NTU / NUS

10:29 AM Cindity 0 Comments

This post was originally posted on bimbosandwich.wordpress.com

Making choices- NTU / NUS

To start of, this post is not like my usual bubbly self, I'm pretty depressed when I'm writing it as it is supposed to be a deep reflection. Just giving any passer-by readers a heads up. Anyway, this will be a long post as well, so just to spell out the cons first.

(1) Why science?

I'm giving myself a last chance to explain my decisions before I get interrogated by the society. I'd pledged loyalty to science since young, everyone seemed to be supportive (to me) until they've learned of my ultimate decision. Or rather to say, that the support might only have come along if I've gotten myself in the more "approved" fields of sciences such as healthcare. It's not like I am against these sciences, but I was so convinced I wanted a lab-job.
"Huh, why you choose science? you can only go into teaching you know?"
Besides having people prophesying my future, I don't know what's with the stereotype associated with teachers, this is an industry that has gone the wrong direction in Singapore but the existence of teachers might have been the main contributor to what I am right now. And apparently teaching (pre-U teaching) is one of the jobs with the highest satisfaction especially for females. The only downside might be perhaps the lack of male colleagues (okay, jokes aside). I certainly do not hear other series of comments like engineers can only become engineers etc. I might be able to stick with my first choice ie pharmacy if I have applied for the overseas universities. The main reason that I chose to stay in Singapore (other than the obvious reason - $$$) is because I'm also concerned about the career prospects, the value of the foreign cert in Singapore and also the never-repayable college debt. I have little idea what lies ahead of me if I graduate with a cert other than MIT, Brown, Rice, Princeton etc. While the mere graduation with a general, local bach cert might leave me with more job mobility.



Though not too impressive, my grades might be decent to get into other courses (except those that require straight As) such as business admin/maritime business, engineering and maybe arts and social sciences. While I show zero interest in the engineering and humanities, business did sound attractive. However, I could not convince myself that I will be able to enjoy the path which a business degree may take me to. Yes, to be assured that I know what I want to do for the rest of my life at this age is being presumptuous, but I believe that I mature enough to at least know where my interest lies in, regardless of how narrow the job prospects might be. This section of knowing myself is just bullsh!t but I did reflect a lot on myself - my aspiration, my beliefs. This is especially so when I tried out office life, its worth lamenting when people are following the same dreaded routine daily. I can't help but to ask if that is what I want in life? I just...don't want to be a minion of this society. I remember vividly when I crafted out my dream occupations just a few years back and fantasizing of having a bright future ahead. I have bigger aspirations than that!

To be honest, I also did browse through the salary section of the different majors. I'm not too certain if one can really find true satisfaction in their jobs. Because many high paying personnel are often judged by the society if they are doing it for passion or their pay. This is just pure unfairness. My previous mentality is to find a good paying job, and then I can still enjoy my retirement with the hard-earned money. Then the next second I don't want a life story of a "deferrer". I need to be happy throughout my life!

(2) Why NUS / NTU

I'm offered places for science in both universities, ie. the only 2 universities I've applied for. (Science was my first choice)



Traditional employers might still hold the mentality that NUS cert is more valued, and I can understand that since NUS has a longer history and thus explains its higher ranking globally. It is pretty ignorant that even people of my age tell me that. I mean, shouldn't you at least look beyond the ranking..? Many of such comments were actually by peers who have yet to visit the campus before making their choices.

ntu ranking

Yes, science it was! But I was contemplating between chemistry and biology. My choice was eventually narrowed to NUS chemistry or NTU biological sciences. Here again, I'm still battling with the stereotype of biology students, many do tell me that there are wider prospects for Chem for Bio is too specific. Yes, I do love both and it was indeed hard to choose one to divorce. I still enjoy having a mistress! hahaa (btw, I'm aware that there will be overlaps in the syllabus but it's really hard to make a choice) I do not want to go into a bio major with classmates all aiming for pre-med. I certainly do not have any game plans for future studies after my first bach, and I do want to get employed in a field I enjoy being in.

Next, I also considered the probability of graduating with a good honours. In NUS, there's only 60% of students graduating with an honours, not to mention that the numbers are inclusive of 3rd class and below :S I do not have sufficient faith or courage to plunge my life into risk. I understand that competition is necessary and perhaps if you look deeper, what I enjoy during my course of study is more important. But I'm like at a split road juncture which ahead of me lies 2 different paths, there is really no reason for me to conquer the rocky pathway and find myself nowhere. At least I'm given a chance to attempt honours in NTU. Not to say that honours is guaranteed in NTU, I can be assured that honours in NTU is just as valued as the process requires arduous work as well.

I went to both of the campus on 18th May for the open house. NUS was rundown, many labs are under construction (estimated to be completed in around 1-2years and most likely even longer). These are some of the photos snapped @ NUS as you can tell~! So here's where the cranes were from! I was wondering why are there so many cranes around NUHS when I look out of my office window before I visited NUS. I did not have a chance to visit the labs as there weren't any lab tours for chemistry, but I'm not too sure if they will be comfortable to be in for a few hours (judging from the exterior).




The FOS canteen

I made my sister pose in a lot of pictures! I thought she looked really cute! (especially with the balloon she got in NUS)

She invited a lot of stares with her uniform in both universities. By the way, you can easily note the stark difference in the facilities and interior of the 2 universities.

lol Just look at her "being bribed with food". By the way, she's wearing shorts underneath (just so you know lol) :)

They had those circular banquet tables for many- to -one consultations! And I do feel that the students in NTU forged a closer bond with their professors, they are just casually chit-chatting among themselves when the tables are free. It's nice luhh.. :)
    
Here are those taken in NTU, at the School of Biological sciences. My sister was like "Jiejie, why is it like a function?" when she just entered. This is the spot where NTU drop visitors for open houses etc, so I feel like they prioritize SBS more? Okay, scrap that, I'm just trying to make myself feel better.


Lastly, there will be this paragraph dedicated to the misc factors which
do notplay a part in the decision.

(a) Financial Assistance



In addition to the study loan, NUS also offered me bursary amounting to the figures in the screenshot above. I do not have any financial assistance from NTU (yet) as application outcome will only be out by the end of July. There are relatively few scholarship providers for science students and competition is pretty stiff. I might just be trying my luck for mid-term scholarships throughout my academic years.

Update: 31/7/13
NTU only granted me with the CDC/CCC Bursary of $2 900. They also have the NTU bursary of $800 / academic year but I had no idea why I didn't qualify for that since NUS had granted me a larger amount of bursary.

(b) Location

I know, "NTU is like an island on its own". I do prefer the greens and peace of NTU' to the construction site of NUS'. I live along the red line so the difference in distance to schools is pretty much negligible. If I'm not a hostelite and  lessons were to be scheduled in the morning, I would want to avoid the morning rush (especially after being granted the opportunity to experience it).
I do not need my school to be centralised and accessible to everyone, and to be honest that hour of travelling to town isn't that much of a sacrifice.

(c) Campus life

People who know me know that I'm
nota social butterfly. I can be friendly and bubbly most of the time except for the orientation period. I just can't bring my pathetic brain to overcome the bombardment of new faces and names. One at a time please. LOL Did I mention that I'm skipping orientation as well? There are many of my friends (be it seniors or peers or family) who are admitted into NTU, many of the peers are posted to the same course as me. YAY for instant friends!
But I hate to admit that the campus life in NUS indeed seem more vibrant, I had received many invitations for different orientation camps and clubs. The existing undergrads whom I met during the open house were sociable and affable. And its slightly more ideal geographic may also play a part in attracting more Singaporeans thus the stew of a variety of characters.
However, NTU is more generous to accepting poly peeps, so YAY again, poly peeps from the east, you have no choice but forced to come to Jurong!

(d) Choice of minors

List of NTU minor programmes : http://www.ntu.edu.sg/Academics/Pages/MinorProgramme.aspx
List of NUS minor programmes : http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/edu/UG/spugp-minor-progs.html 
If anyone noted, NTU did offer me a business minor (they pretty much offer it to majority of their students. Having NIE housed within the NTU campus also means that I get to enjoy the variety of minors also offered by it. However, if you're keen to pursue a double major or double degree, NUS have more combinations in store.

(e) Facilities

As mentioned above, I do not expect much of NUS' facilities, while the apparatus (at least those visible to me) in NTU weren't insanely avant-garde, they are distinctly better. I wouldn't have considered this if I'm an arts student, but what do you call a scientist who cannot conduct experiments?
NTU' labs are air-conditioned, with lockers outside every lab and they have tutorial rooms filled with interactive screens. NUS is more theory-based (I know nothing more to add anything else here). I don't want to have heat stroke in the lab coat.


This list may be never-ending, but im stopping considering the fact that this post is sufficiently long. I reckon filling up the spaces with your brain capacity should suffice. Please feel free to call my secretary and book an appointment with me if this accounting is not detailed enough. Lastly, I hope that this lengthy post is helpful to prospective college students in Singapore.
BYE!

Update: 22/5/13



0 comments: