[Health] I Haven't been to a Dentist in 6 Years

7:35 PM Cindity 0 Comments

I'm hanging my head down in shame. What can I say, my teeth are in good condition. Guess genetics cause complacency. My friends used to say that I could be the next poster girl for Darlie! Guess I could give up hope now. HAHA

No one is fan of pain, most of us I'm certain; but I'm left a little unconvinced as there are some masochists out there. HEHEH However, many understand the importance of seeing a dentist at least twice a year. The rest of us, sometimes once every one to two years. And those hardcore cases, not even once in ages. Until, they start to experience gum or teeth problems.

Deep inside, I imagine that I turn up to some response like, "Well, its too late. We'll have to remove everything surgically in the most tortuous way possible".
Sometimes, it seems more convenient to just avoid the entire situation.

I'm writing this up so that people will take better care of their teeth, and hopefully not turn out like me. Be it for whatever reason, financial, time or just simply fear.

It is a common misconception that dental appointments aren't required if you practice good oral hygiene. In most cases, plaque will still build up and it can only be removed by scaling. Which of course, can only be done by a dentist. 

The day before the dentist.
Yearly dental check-ups are provided in school, I was exempted from school dental check-ups in my upper secondary. Well, not because I had great oral hygiene but the lack of resources. Two of my cousins are even reading dentistry, guess they weren't too great of an influence. Heh... 
A part of my gums are bleeding occasionally around Dec 2013, and that was when I booked an appointment with the NHG Polyclinics. I only read "17 February" and thought it was soon, so I waited and realized that it was 17 Feb of 2015! I should have went to another private dental clinic- soon, and I brushed it off. And you guys should know, soon never came. The stupid psychology that I already had an appointment just bred procrastination. Until my dental appointment with the polyclinic. So it was roughly a wait of 25 months.

* In other countries, most dental clinics are walk-in. However, most of the clinics in Singapore require an appointment and even the private ones have a waiting time. Haven't even talked about the cost yet!

The bleeding was never gone throughout this period, but it did not increase in frequency either. I kept to my usual oral habits - brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste; I bought a lot of Listerine mouth wash but only used it when I remembered to (the mint makes me tear). The worst of all, I NEVER FLOSSED. I do have dental floss, but whether I floss my teeth is another question. Not ever in my life. It turns out that I don't even know the proper way to floss my teeth correctly. I thought I only needed to do it to my incisors and had no idea how to get to my molars. 

State before Dental Scaling
While I'm lucky to not have a big problem with my teeth (free of cavities, and enamel problems), my gums are in really poor condition. Gingivitis and other gum disease (not to scare people) might precede should I delay my dental check-up any further. This is due to the bacteria biofilm build up in the form of plaque that eats into the gums, eventually leading to a lack of gum and bone mass. I guess I have a slight case of receding gums as more teeth seem to be showing (the teeth will appear to be longer). 

Gingivitis is a type of gum/periodontal disease. The first signs are usually swelling and bleeding of the gums. Especially in older people, severe cases might lead to tooth loss. 

It might be a hard truth to swallow, but receding gums do not grow back. There might be surgical methods such as tissue grafting to restore appearance or tooth support but they are both painful and expensive. Gums however, can reattach to the tooth pocket. 

For pictures on Gum surgery

What to Expect

Pain. HAHAHA but no kidding. There was some bleeding but my gums are more itchy than painful. 
The dentist who attended to me was my cousin's course-mate, and she was gentle and detailed. I remember those scary school dentists that will reprimand you for poor oral hygiene and will rip and shred your gums. Oh dear... 
There is usually a consultation fee for first-time visits. For adults, impacted wisdom teeth will be checked for. And the proper technique for brushing and flossing will be demonstrated at the end of the procedure.

Scaling was done at the outline of the teeth and gum, at both front and back of the teeth. To cut to the chase, I got to experience the new tool! Apparently they no longer use the sharp metal hook. The upgraded tool gave a little of a strange water-spray-feeling which I wasn't too sure if it was water or saliva. And gave off some drilling noise that weakens my knees.

Polishing was followed by scaling, this was swift. Just the application of a topical fluoride onto the teeth with a soft equipment (I think it was a brush) and its rinsed off immediately afterwards. I could only see some blood-laced red sponge when it was removed from my mouth. And it was really sweet (sorbitol), and strawberry-flavoured. Mhmm. 

This is the routine scaling and polishing. If you happen to have other problems such as cavities, you may require additional procedures such as filling or extractions. 

My breath must have reeked of rusty iron throughout the day. It felt kind of weird when you're able to feel the gaps in-between the teeth. My gums felt strange, it wasn't painful (or itchy) but the presence of something, like the scaling is still being performed. HEHEH #post-trauma  
So I was left gargling my mouth whenever I visit the toilets.




-


-


-


So I've been flossing everyday from now. Getting all into the nitty grits of all my teeth (including the molars!). Really diligently. In all hopes that my gums will reattach and my smile be less toothy. For the first few days, the dental floss will be bloody. This has to be penance. HAHAHA
It was to my shock when I flossed out of food remnants even after through brushing. Especially after snacking from Chinese New Year.



via www.healthyfoodhouse.com
While reading up on stuff, I've also come across several "Home Remedies" using "Baking Soda". To whiten your teeth, as an alkaline mouthwash, toothpaste substitute and to restore gum health etc. It has been trending in popular media and recommended by many for being so multipurpose. 
Whoa, so good ah. As a matter of caution, I urge most people against playing around with acids and bases as harsh conditions are damaging to the tooth enamel. If you must, dilute the baking soda into a paste before applying it onto your teeth, and do not use this too frequently. 

Disclaimer: I'm no expert in this. But I guess I could still offer some sound advice.

Teeth Whitening 
Is it effective for tooth whitening - The short answer is "yes", it probably is. But over the long-run, it may erode teeth enamel and make teeth more porous. Most whitening procedures (even those performed by dentists) weaken the teeth, as the stains are usually trapped in the enamel. So if you're choosing between baking soda and some other abrasive teeth whitening treatment, I guess I would advise for baking soda.

Mouth Rinse
As baking soda is alkaline, it can be used to neutralize the acidity in the mouth. This is a safer bet as the baking soda is already diluted. You can use salt water or water to dilute it. Saline solution is a known antiseptic, traditionally used to kill bacteria. 


-



-



-


I might be a little late on the greetings. But better late than never hor? HAHA 
HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!!! 
This is a very chinese view of my house (and me).

So this funny incident happened to my girlfriend (from China): She normally only do visiting (bai nian) among her China-chinese relatives so she is unaware about the Singaporean-chinese, and according to their custom, they carry a carton of mandarin oranges over to bai nian. Those who only bring 2 mandarin oranges are seen as "poor" and ya, not too well-off. 
This new year, she went over to her Singaporean-chinese boyfriend's house with a carton of oranges. And her boyfriend came over with only 2 oranges. 

HAHAHA ROFL! But back to the main point, remember to go for your routine scaling and polishing arh!
Now that the CHAS card (for the low-income) offers subsidies for several dental treatments under private clinics, healthcare becomes more affordable in Singapore! YAY!
Read more about CHAS here and check your eligibility for it.


Keywords: have not been to the dentist in, many years, what to expect at the dentist, oral hygiene, dental check up, teeth cleaning, deep cleaning, tooth, baking soda, teeth whitening, enamel erode, alkaline mouthwash, scaling, polishing, cost of dental cleaning, chas card, singapore, waiting time at local polyclinic, dental polyclinic

0 comments: