[Treatment] Depressed Acne Scars After Dermarolling (at home)

11:48 AM Cindity 3 Comments

You're not the only one. Acne and the scars that they leave behind makes people self-conscious. 


Disclamer: I'm not a medical doctor, and what I say shouldn't be taken as medical advice. Information is general and of educational nature. Please refer to your own physician.

Beauty is pain. 
Enter the prickly world. Tell me, how you tried or heard of this contraption? The dermaroller is a simple hand-held cylinder studded with microneedles ~0.1 mm in diameter and varying lengths of 0.25 - 2 mm. They have been receiving quite a bit of press since many Chinese factories had made it available to the masses. They are everywhere, a simple search on the net will bring you thousands of products and brands. While I leave it to your own discretion on the purchase, it is suggested to get needles made of surgical steel and avoid the 540-needle roller. The former will ensure that needles are non-allergenic to the human tissue while some sources have found that the 540-needles are not real, but stamped-out knifes. 


You can imagine the puncturing of the skin with needles having a not-so-nice feeling, but treatment with longer-needles are considered infrequent; does that lighten your load HAHA.
There are many types of atrophic acne-scars, boxcar, rolling and ice pick. The boxcar and rolling scars are expected to have more improvement as compared to ice pick scars. 


Inflammation is what it takes
Inflammation is akin to a buzzword for all the bad things, expect in this case HEHH. Microneedling is a form of collagen induction therapy used for scars and wrinkles. Unlike ablative treatments like dermabrasion or laser resurfacing, Microneedling does not damage the epidermis. Instead, it stimulates a wound-healing cascade that results in fibroblast proliferation and deposition of new collagen and elastin in the dermis.



Shorter needle lengths that are unable to reach the dermis are incapable of stimulating the fibroblasts and growth factors, however the micro-channels they produce can enhance the penetration of actives.

Comparison with resurfacing
http://www.makeupmagic.net/dermal-rolling.html
Histopathology has showed  more elastin and an increase of greater than 400% in collagen deposition. It also showed that the new collagen fibres are laid down in a normal lattice pattern similar to a healthy tissue rather than the parallel bundles in scar tissues. Hence, improving the appearance of the scars. 

Protocol
Dermarolling started on April 20, 2015, I usually dermaroll at night as sunscreen can no longer be applied while the skin is left more vulnerable to UV. Here's my general protocol:

  1. Prepping the skin using 20% OST Vitamin C serum (OST C20) or 0.5% RetinA (vitamin A) cream on alternate nights for at least 5 days beforehand.
  2. Shower with warm water just before needling to soften and thoroughly clean the skin.
  3. Check for any bent or damaged needles and then soak the dermaroller and stamp in 70% alcohol. Make sure that it is dry before usage.
  4.  I don't rinse off the residual blood or plasma and don't touch water. (But I reckon that saline wipes can clean the face.)
  5. Applying Palmer's Skin Therapy Oil for Face with retinol immediately and daily every night, until the redness decreases. Avoiding any scrubs or peels during the recovery period.
  6. Slap on sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher in the day, and avoid excess sun exposure. Avoid makeup for at least 24 hours. Resume normal moisturizer and skin routine after the redness has subsided.

Afterwards I made sure to clean the unit and the needle cartridge, brushing the needles to rid off any debris and soaking them in 70% alcohol. 

Vitamin A (retinoic acid) may control the release of TGFβ3 in preference to TGFβ1 and TGF β2, which controls the integration of collagen fibres into the skin matrix (Aust, 2008). While Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is essential for the production of normal collagen. Skin improvement is not immediate as collagen maturation takes time, for type III to transform into the more elastic type I collagen.

The needle depth was 1.5 mm for the roller and 2.0 mm for the stamp. I stamp the individual scars prior and roll on the area where I stamped. It doesn't hurt too bad, your face will be pretty numb to the needling after a minute or two. I roll in one direction, and lift the dermaroller every pass to prevent scratching and pricking the same point. My face is usually left red with many pinpoint bleeding. This usually follows up surface skin roughness and skin peeling. After three days, the redness was almost completely gone, so I usually do it on a Friday night to recover over a long weekend. This treatment is performed once every 4-5 weeks.


-



-



-



-


There was a period when I became unhealthily-obsessed with skin. I observed the skin of everyone I've got a close-up of, I keep trying out different products, and spend hours on acne forums. And the worst of it all was that I felt self-conscious and uncomfortable in close proximity with people. I had severe acne and was so thrilled when they had started to clear bit by bit. But as the pigmented marks had gone away, a new problem was surfaced- the permanent depressed acne scars. 


Once upon a time, I was also in that place.  Fact is, most people don't really care about how you look. It was just me, I was the only one. The problem is not with my skin but my head. Instead of worrying about getting good grades in school, I was thinking about the imperfections on my face. 

 I'm no longer obsessed with the scars, I acknowledge the fact that most people wouldn't have realized their existence unless I pointed it out. They have been a part of my teenage, and a unique part of my complexion. I would however be thrilled if there are any obvious improvement, I do not need perfect skin. 

Immediately post-needling
Results
After 4 at home needling 
(started April 2015, after photo taken Aug 2015), spaced a month apart. I have had a Venus Viva done on Aug 2015, and the results obtained afterwards can be attributed to either treatment so it is better to exclude that HEHEH.

It might be a little hard for you to follow because of the different angles, I've drawn attention to some scars for individual comparison. As previously pointed out, the icepicks do not respond as greatly as the boxcars. There is however, a difference in morphology where the icepicks get shallower but wider. Slight elevation is noted on the boxcars, but the edges are still pretty stark. 



Other treatments for acne scarring:

3 comments:

  1. ATTENTION READERS:

    Please take time to read.

    I honestly suggest the opposite of what the author is saying (regarding buying ones that are made of surgical needles and avoiding 540 needles)

    How to Pick the Best Derma Roller for Stretch Marks, Scars and Wrinkles:

    1) Look for Titanium microneedles NOT surgical steel ones WHY?
    Surgical steel needles: cheap, bends and gets rusty easily
    Titanium needles: bacteria resistant, high quality, strong and ultra sharp

    2) Look for dermarollers with 540 needles
    WHY? For a better coverage. 540 needles treat the areas thoroughly

    While 200 needles are widely spaced apart, requires more rolling with less effect thus giving you less collagen regrowth

    3) Recommended AT HOME treatment  0.5 mm – 1.0 mm needle length
    AVOID thick needles
    AVOID needle length of 1.5 mm and above
    (1.5 and above must only be done by professionals)

    Important:

    • Needle thickness above 0.77mm can break down collagen

    • Outdated rollers (surgical needles, 200 needles)
    It is ideal to look for the latest higj quality roller with 540 needles

    Here's the full page I've read it from, more details including photos.
    Read more --> http://dermarollerinfo.com/what-is-the-best-dermaroller/

    Hope I helped and all the best,
    Jh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi, thanks for your comment. Personally, I find that the dermaroller with fewer needles work best. Going through the same spot for a couple more times does not hurt.

      I have since switched to the dermastamp for better control of the treatment areas.

      As I am treating my cheeks, a more fleshy part, 1.5mm works fine for me. By no way I am encouraging others to do it my way.

      Delete