[Travel] Taiwan- Taipei itinerary Day 6 (Danshui)

5:49 PM Cindity 0 Comments

I'm finally back to finish up my Taiwan itinerary, and hopefully I can finish updating before they become too foreign.

I bunked in with my mom last night, like how packed sardines in a can. A hospitable staff at the hostel told us that there's a wet market set up in the morning along the streets. I love wet markets, I go to them almost every hostel I go to (but I'm afraid pics have yet to be up HEHE).

Morning / Wet Markets (早市)

The streets were lined up with booths selling an assortment of household goods and breakfast foods. Similar to the wet markets in Singapore, they only operate in the morning, with vendors functioning as loudspeakers calling out for customers. The older women tend to be the main clientele, geared up with sunglasses and large straw hats, they ruthlessly elbow their way towards the bargains. Unlike China, pricing in Taiwan are more transparent, but slight bargainings are proven to be possible as I witness the housewives unleashing their tongues.

The stalls will be closing around 11-12 noon.



Sushi in various shades and shapes





Unsweetened Soymilk
The first time in my lifetime ever trying this. Good on its own, sugarfree.
We went back to the hostel to finish some of the breakfast items. we got and set out to our next destination. The first stop of our itinerary was JAJANGJANG~

Tamsui  (淡水)

Tamsui was pretty accessible through the metro system, we took the metro from Beitou and alighted at "Tamsui District 淡水區".

Alighting from the Metro Station



The promenade had a lively carnival atmosphere, with souvenir vendors, stack stalls and street artists adding to its flavor. There were dogs running freely, scouts raising funds, and just a bombardment of all the things that will make you smile.

Street Artiste

The Chinese characters under him translates into: Hearing-impaired street artiste












A museum of limited interest tiled with old red bricks.


Here, the aroma of the iron eggs and other street foods announces their presence to us from afar. (HAHA I'm not showing favoritism towards the iron eggs!)



Ah Po's iron eggs (阿婆铁蛋)
I personally find the Ah Po's iron eggs (阿婆铁蛋) overpriced. A vacuum sealed bag of those quail eggs are sold for NTD150 if I remember correctly; they were definitely the most overpriced counterpart in this vicinity. While you can also get the same quantity for NTD85. Which 'brand' to go to just boils down to personal preference, say different families uses different seasonings for the soy sauce or different pressure/temperature that results in varying textures They usually offer you samples of their products so you can decide how many bags of each to purchase.

I don't normally eat eggs that are processed unwontedly like century eggs and salted eggs (in fact I'm very turned off by them), but this is acceptable. The quail eggs were just stewed in soy sauce. I LOVE THEM! I like how chewy they are, and if their seasoning is to my liking, I'll just hold a piece in my mouth until I no longer taste the saltiness.

Note those that were not in vacuum? They are unsuitable for souvenirs, but I doubt many can resist the temptations.
The uncle mentioned that their shelf-life was only about a week or so (refrigerated).


Quail eggs NTD 10


The quail eggs were cracked open and mixed with anchovy in a mould (similar to that for takoyaki)


This port village of Tamsui was indeed a very charming river district. Its a place near heaven with the strong sea winds gushing towards your faces and playing with your hair. The scenic views renders this boardwalk a very romantic sunset scroll. Tourists get an eyeful of the suburb area of Taiwan in Tamsui with the added pleasure of watching small fishing boats float by.

The dock
You can take a ferry to Bali or Guandu from the dock, we originally wanted to but we just sat near the dock to enjoy the sea breeze.







Local entrepreneurs take advantage of the booming tourist popularity and offer bicycles, fishing rods and ferries for rent.

Uncles fishing


Tamsui is such a wonderful place and be sure to visit it should you come to Taiwan! Its a pity that we didn't stay for the sunset.


Mangrove Forest 红树林
This place wasn't really in our itinerary, but I saw it in one of the tourism brochures handed out to us; and since I'm in the mood for a nature break that day. We hopped on back to the metro and alighted at "Hong Shu Lin".

This Mangrove Ecocenter was situated in the MRT, merely a space filled with educational posters. They only have a few live specimens in store.



The walkway allowed close-up views of this mangrove wet land. This forest lies preserved in the midst of the hectic urban area with tall buildings. Bicycles were also available for rent here, teenage boys were seen racing each other in their bikes around the cycling track.










Cycling Track
Oh, if you're thinking of including this into your itinerary, don't; especially as a tourist. There was little unique points of this place, mangrove forests are aplenty in the Southeast Asia; spend time on other places.

 Dinner
We were bone-weary from all the walking and returned to Beitou from the metro in our sweaty bodies. Oh, and the first thing to do was to check out the night market near our hostel. Not really a "night market" per se, just a few vendors selling dinner.

Some "Yong Tau Foo"-like thing Mom ordered 




I was really satisfied that day from the nature feast, overwhelmed with too many things that drove me happy.

While I have more time on my hands now before I embark on another job, I'll post more frequently!

See my itinerary for
Day 1: http://cindity.blogspot.sg/2013/07/taiwan-taipei-itinerary-day-1.html
Day 4: http://cindity.blogspot.sg/2013/10/taiwan-taipei-itinerary-day-4-jiufen.html
Day 5: http://cindity.blogspot.sg/2013/10/travel-taiwan-taipei-itinerary-day-5.html
See my original plan for the day: http://cindity.blogspot.sg/2013/07/taipei-itinerary-for-budget-traveller.html

0 comments: