[Brain Rants] If Youth Knew; If Age Could

12:19 PM Cindity 0 Comments

If youth knew; if age could Sigmund Freud 
I might have gotten a little slower, lost a tooth or maybe grew more irritable. But I still hope I love myself. 

Hey friends, I'd recently turned 20 but I can't believe that 21 is going to take over in just a couple more weeks. Do you too get very emotional about ageing? You're like in line of fire against this futile war with the Ageing Package. Which includes gradual decline in memory, crunchier bones, more skin and much more! And it is all free! Get yours in a few more decades!
#quarterlifecrisis

This blog post is written for me to look at things from the perspective of my grandparents and other respectable elderly that I endear in my life. In hope that more empathy comes to me; these are some of the things that I might appreciate when I'm old:







1. Be Patient With Me 

Did I say the exact same thing a minute ago? Please don't interrupt, else Dementia might be the only thing that I remember. I've no intention in irritating you but I didn't realize that you're already here.
Have I cooked dinner? Oh dear, I didn't buy fish!
Where are today's papers? Let me just write on that to remind myself that I've read it.
Perhaps you could come up with a different witty reply to keep my brain active. If I occasionally lose track, give me some time to remember.

Also, please don't be angry when there are several times that I've told you to speak louder. Or that time when I spoke too loudly which might have embarrassed you. I'm utterly sorry for that.

2. Walk Slowly When You're With Me

I would love to speed up and act healthy; but sometimes my breathlessness might give it away just after the flight of stairs. 

I'm scared of falling as well, I'm post-menstrual! wait is that the escalator? Why is it moving at such a fast speed. Can you hold on to me? I got such a big scare; I nearly tripped over! 
Remember the time we scrolled slowly together after your nursery classes? You were stumbling all over! So now, hold on to my hand and walk with me in my pace.

I didn't realize that I'm hindering you but please don't roll your eyes and tsk me from behind. I might be anxious and lose my step. Give me some more time, you still have loads of it.

3. Teach Me New Technology

Give me some more time, repeat yourself and guide me slowly. 
How do I further increase the volume? 
Please don't look at me that way, the world is just revolving too fast! Oh, new notification! What does this say? Let me get my reading glasses.
We are never too late to change and grow (not older). I wouldn't want to stop learning either.

4. Go Out More Often With Me

I know I say I like staying at home, but don't take my word for it. I'm just saying that because I know that you're busy. I didn't plan to sink into solitude, and it might be a little unfortunate if things ever turn out that way. Keep me active or I might wilt with the sedentary lifestyle.
There are so many places that I've never been and more new changes to the places that I'm too well acquainted with.
Listen to my life stories and meet the new friends I made from my grocery shoppings. And I still love shopping very much. What are the latest trends in fashion?
Have I mentioned trekking? Those sinang ones larh!

5. Listen to Me

Young people are exciting and your adventures could inject some new energy into this set of ageing bones. You can even ask me for advice but please don't roll your eyes and rant about how outdated it is.
My story might be old hat, I might not be a legacy but I'm eager to tell. I didn't write a book; I'm afraid if there isn't anyone to pass it down to. I would love to have someone to talk to. You might have saw those avant garde robots that were made to befriend the elderly, I suppose I might never truly accept them.

6. Accommodate My Irritability

I might have gotten increasingly sensitive, anxious and paranoid or maybe even arrogant.
Why are those people giving me strange looks? 
Is it really okay to do this here?
It happens once in a while and trust me, it was never my intent to be rude. I wasn't even aware that the queue starts here! And maybe you think that I complain about things a little too much, but I was just being observant and pointing out things.




You will be there someday and then, you'll understand. Don't wait to regret. Please take care of me till my last moments like how I did when you were little.

This is so sweet you would mistake this as gluconeogenesis.


-




-




-




-




I love my grandparents and I routinely reserve time for them every week. End this year by practicing gratitude for the people around you! And we are again, getting even closer to Christmas and New Year! *throws confetti*

Love,
Cindy


0 comments: