[School] Research Experience BS9001

3:10 PM Cindity 0 Comments

Hey friends! I know, it's been awhile. HEH
Wait! I have valid excuse this time round- I'm finally getting the research experience I've been waiting for since I've signed up for college! Its a little sad that this summer has came to an end, but I'd enjoyed every moment of it! This Research Experience program (course code: BS9001) has exposed me to the research environment under great mentorship - from both my professor and the other pHD students.

2015 NTU Convocation


How was University so Far

Remember this post from 2 years back when I was choosing universities? I was so certain that a lot of independent lab work will be done in college. Things didn't really work out that way. Unlike students from polytechnics who have had their share of internships and FYP, most JC students have limited accessibility to science internships. Lab experience for undergraduates is hard to come by despite decent grades, one professor even declined me because of the "lack of relevant lab experience". Isn't that the reason why I'm trying so hard to gain these experiences?!


Opportunities in NTU

Science internships needs to be more accessible, especially to science students in universities. Not discriminating against those with a lack of experience and less-than-perfect grades. I'm really grateful that NTU has this Research Experience Module that allows students to earn Academic Units while building up their resumes. And more importantly, re-evaluate their goals to see if the research route is for them while gaining research skills . Other than this module, NTU also offers Undergradute Research Experience on CAmpus (URECA), over a 11-month period including during the normal school semester but that is only offered to students with GPA higher than 4.5 in their first year.

What if My School Does Not Offer This

Such modules in schools are undeniably convenient but all science students are highly encouraged to source for internships with labs even when their school do not offer them. Though academic and industrial labs have different focuses, both should impart valuable skills and knowledge of your expertise. Unfortunately not all great labs are well funded, some positions are paid and others aren't; the goal is not to earn money but invaluable experience. This is especially so for an undergraduate. :)

When Should I Do It

Most undergrads start in their first or second year, but you can do it in any year-of-study really. Just try to avoid your final year, I'm not too sure how you'd like to have FYP or internships together with this. I mean, FYP and internships are experiences themselves!
Teaching professors and pHD students often have a tighter schedule during the normal school semester due to lessons. I've had great mentorship during this summer as everyone is usually in lab. It is not uncommon for students to go into lab during the normal semester (if you're under URECA). I definitely intend to continue knocking on the lab door when school starts.


HEH, the previous post has been too outdated and the modules offered by each university weren't even considered. Even as an undergrad, questions especially those on the syllabus and module content cannot be fully answered.
I haven't had a 'school' post since I hadn't been able to find greater meaning in academic life for the past year. Its really wonderful when a great mentor can recharge and motivate you. And, I'm in my third-year of university.
Anyone coming to NTU SBS? :)

0 comments: